Friday, December 9, 2011

coconut cookies & apple dumplings

What kind of post follows a "It's a Girl!!" post?! Not sure. Probably something sugary and sweet and nice. So here we go...


These cookies are fantastic, so I thought I would share it with you all. It's like macaroon cookies with chocolate chips...on crack. Pure heaven. Perfect for enjoying on a very cold autumn day.

{Chewy Coconut Chocolate Cookies}
adapted from allrecipes.com recipe

Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups flaked coconut
  • 1.5 cups chocolate chips

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C.) Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually blend in the flour mixture, then mix in the coconut and chocolate. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.
  3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly toasted. Cool on wire racks

-AND-

Have you ever made apple dumplings?! Oh my, I am sure you have... based on the fact that 50,000 people like the recipe on allrecipes.com I feel like I might be the last person to find out 
about them. But just in case you haven't, I feel like it's my duty to share them with you too. They are pretty unbelievably good. I think I may have used a swear word or two upon first bite. Can you tell what I've been craving during my pregnancy? Crazy. It's basically uncontrollable.

{Country Apple Dumplings}
adapted from allrecipes.com

Ingredients

  • 2 large Honey Crisp apples, peeled and cored
  • 1 (10 ounce) can refrigerated crescent roll dough
  • 5 TB butter
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 can of sprite (I thought this would be too much, but it was a grand sugary syrup... so do it)

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). PAM a 9 inch circular baking dish.
  2. Cut each apple into 8 wedges and set aside. Separate the crescent roll dough into triangles. Roll each apple wedge in crescent roll dough starting at the smallest end. Pinch to seal and place in the baking dish. I cut up the remaining apple pieces into smaller pieces and nestled them around the dumplings.
  3. Melt butter in a small saucepan and stir in the sugar and cinnamon. Pour over the apple dumplings. Pour sprite over the dumplings.
  4. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. I served with french vanilla ice cream. amazing.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipes...If I had the ingredients, I would try one right now...Yummy!!!
    And thanks for the scratch-off recipe too - that will be fun to scare with people...You always amaze me... Love, Mom : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments!! I love hearing what you have to say...