Tuesday, April 12, 2011

patio table...


I think our most incredible backyard DIY project was making our patio table....and it was easy! As I said before, we found the table top at IKEA. It was a butcher block/kitchen counter top that we found in the "as is" section in IKEA... this is where most things are somewhat used, broken or returned then discounted. We found the table top for 23% off... which we thought was okay, but still a little high. So Matt asked the guy at the counter if he would be willing to go cheaper.... a little haggling...and voila! 50% off! Brand new it would have been $129 and we bought it for $65! It has a few cracks, but nothing too obvious.

::the old patio table::

The table worked great, it was free with the house...but it needed to be updated. My wonderful mom, dad, and sister working on cupcake flags for the wedding....smiles and all. How amazing.

::our new patio table::

[ when its just the two of us, which is most of the time we can just overlook our yard and watch the dogs, then when we have friends over we can bring out the extra chairs and pull the table into the middle of the patio to seat 6!]


::inspiration::
There are a few restaurants in town that use huge planks of wood, all glued together, with a thick urethane on them for their table tops. We love this look. Usually they are tall, bar height... and you can see the knots in the wood, they are beautiful. We wanted to mimic this. Something hearty that would withstand the outdoors, look natural, a little rustic, and unique. Then we just needed table legs. I had seen this bookshelf from pipes a while back... and thought about having the same look for our table. I wasn't sure if it was financially feasible...but... it is!




...drew up some sketches and dimensions in my handy journal before going to home depot...
::tools/supplies::
-obnoxious yellow gloves...great to grip the pipes to tighten.
-screw driver
-drill
-synthetic 3" brush
-urethane: 1 quart of outdoor spar
-sandpaper 320 grit
-16 zinc #12 screws

...table top before the finish...

...isn't that price great?!...

...matt staining the wood in the garage, in between each of the 3 coats he sanded it with 320 grit paper...
::the pipe materials::

-black iron pipes
1x 48" long 1/2" diameter
4 x 8" long 3/4" diameter
4 x 8" long 1/2" diameter
4 x 12" long 1/2" diameter
4 x 3/4" and 1/2" Ts
2 x 1/2" Ts
8 x flanges
Total cost of pipes= $90

* there were other options at the store too...galvanized pipe and brass, but we liked the looks of the dark metal for our table top wood grain*

Table Total= $155

We knew in making this table that it would be a little more expensive than a thrifty table bought on overstock...but we thought this one will hold up for longer, and be the style we love... instead of a table we just like.
...matt just jumped right in and started assembling...

...Voila! About 10 minutes later the base was done and some tweaking needed to be done in order to compensate for the uneven ground...
::the chairs::
We found 4 wrought iron chairs and one bench at costco...amazingly. They were just the style we wanted... something a little updated and something less bulky than the patio furniture sets they sell at the normal stores like home depot or target. And they fit perfectly and comfortably with our custom table, that was just luck.
4 chairs @ 19.99 each & 1 bench @ 39.99
Total for seating= $120
 We were contemplating between two comparable choices at Target and Home Depot. The target chairs were $40/ chair, and Home Depot's were $30/ chair...both of which were lighter weight than the costco ones, but we also saved ourselves about $40-80 on chairs alone.

[we will be able to use the bench around the table too]
Great deal...now the only thing I need to do is find cushions... turquoise or khaki?! Handmade or bought?!

::the table cover::
So we made the table, it turned out much prettier than we had ever imagined, and now with rainy spring here...we are scared to death to leave it outside. Silly right?! Of course it will get weathered, but maybe just not yet. So I made a table cover for our patio table. I ran over to Target, purchased an $8 green oilcloth table cloth that was 108"x 72". They have a lot of fun designed ones to choose from, but I am not that bold yet. Because our table is a funny dimension... 73" by 25" I needed a long table cloth that I could just sew up the ends on. So I did just that. I also threw in some gravel into the sides when I was sewing the seams to weight down the cover for windy nights. Done in about 5 minutes. Easy. Not super pretty...but it's not for when we are outside.

[the table cover at night, with my lovely assistant, Emma, who matches the wrought iron very nicely]

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!! Where the hell did these genes come from and why didn't I get any of them? I wanna be creative too.... Can't wait to see it in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I just showed it to Dave so he can make us one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww thanks for your sweet comments!
    Kel- matt wants to say that it wasn't "my genes" it was his pacotti genes that made the table. Good thing I'm a pacotti now I guess.

    Shana- Do you really have time with wedding planning?! But...I hope you do make it, there are tons of ways to make the table top, salvaged wood, bunch of 2x4's glued together... endless. Have fun with it, if you do make it...and feel free to ask us questions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this table is awesome! i'm bookmarking it so I can give my husband yet another project to take on. :) (and thanks for stopping by my blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog has inspired me to make my own computer desk! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great. We just pulled out butcher block counter tops when redoing our kitchen and I want to do something similar. How has it aged outside? Any problems with it coming appart?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It has been about 2 years, and a few harsh winters. The table looks awesome still. The legs are a little rusted, but I prefer them to look that way. We actually never covered it, through rain, snow, sun- so it has taken a beating. Good luck with your table! What a great idea to reuse the countertops.

      Delete
  7. Did you do anything to treat the pipes? Did they have an oil on them? I have already purchased the pipes from Home Depot. They have white printing and an oil. The guy at Home Depot suggested washing them with dawn then treating with rubbing alcohol and then putting a seal on. UGGhhhhh. That is too many steps for me! I was hoping to just GO, and make it. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't treat them! We have a bunch in our house too with pipe shelving- works great. The ones outside rusted a little but we like the look. I wiped them down a little get off the grease, but pretty much kept them as is. Industrial look!

      Delete
  8. We are the stainless steel and carbon steel pipe fittings manufacturers.If you have any needs,you can contact me any time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great! I'm considering using the exact same piece of wood for a patio table, but I'm concerned about how narrow it is. How is it to have dinner with four people? Awkwardly narrow/close, or is it fine?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments!! I love hearing what you have to say...