So we came up with this idea on our own... I know, no pinterest inspiration. CRAZY. We are super excited with how they turned out, so I want to share it with you. Most of our family lives outside of our state. So we couldn't have a gender reveal party, just like last time. We decided to make a fun card to share the suspense, because last year it was a hoot.
scratch-off cards to share the news, super fun. I don't know that we topped that idea, but at least it was a blast to do.
We had to do a little prep work, because as soon as we found out our tater tot's gender...we had to move fast. We were vague to our family/friends about when the ultrasound was to buy us a little time to get the cards in the mail.
We chose tie dye...because we love it. A kid in a tie dye? Adorable. Grown-ups in the same exact tie dye outfit? Hilarious. We chose to do a family tie-dye event for our Tour de Fat costumes last year- so fun. This Christmas I think we are doing a tie-dye Christmas for Christmas morning. Cheesy. I love it.
so sad, pink tie dye shirts. so long.
- make tie dye clothing- a set of pink and blue for matt, cora, and I. This is easy. A bunch of cheap white shirts from Old Navy, and a tie dye kit from Jo-Anns.
- make a pom pom garland in blue and pink. Fun excuse to make crafts.
make your own washi tape... cut pieces of fun paper into strips
apply removable tape adhesive- done!
- Make colorful DIY washi tape. I chose to make our own washi tape, because real washi tape is see-through, which doesn't look so hot on black envelopes. I wanted a bright strip of rainbow paper as the first color seen in the card.
- pre-assemble cards. I bought 30 sheets of grey 8 1/2"x 11" paper, then cut them down to be 5"x7" cards.
- I chose to cut down normal end-opening 4 1/2" x 9" envelopes to fit a 4x6 photo. Then just sewed up the ends to close them off. Then used permanent spray adhesive to attach the fronts of the envelopes to the card.- do the photo layout on photoshop elements- " its a..." So that I could just throw the photo in after taking it Monday afternoon- make a black and white photo version and then the "little sister/brother" versions for the color photo.
- pre-address the envelopes and stamp them.
Day of the Ultrasound:
- go to the appointment. YAY!! Hold in the excitement and resist urge to call EVERYONE.
outtakes. many of them.
- at night, upload photos and edit in elements with text and color/black and white.
- upload 4x6 photos to 1 hour photo at Costco.
- pick up photos from Costco
- assemble cards, gluing, stuffing.
- admire and get excited that the secret is almost out.
- send off in the mail!
Then just wait for some phone calls...
Oh yea...and a little boy?! Eeeesh!!! CRAZY. We expected a little sister for Cora. I think we have about 20 weeks to let it sink in. Right now our minds are blown.