Well, I guess I need to tell you about my thoughts on my acupuncture appointment.... it was ok. I have to admit, it was not as life altering as it was about 5 years ago. I think I would benefit more from deep tissue massage mixed in there. I need relaxation day to day, to incorporate it into my lifestyle. The truth is I am healthy...young... and need a less busy lifestyle- which is not going to happen. Like Sara over on feed the soil says- you can control the inputs, not the outputs. I can't control how busy my life is with my obligations but I can control how I respond to them. I did feel really relaxed from my appointment, it was great to be able to talk to someone about my thoughts, whats really going on with my body, and to be more mindful of all of the changes going on in my life...and how they effect me. So after my 2 hour appointment I decided a few things, a few things really resonated with me, and a few things I will just let go of.
What I can do:
- Green-spirulina, wheat grassy and chlorophyll drink was recommended for detoxifying my liver. I will be buying this at the co-op and drinking it daily. There are about 500 to choose from, so I need a little more guidance from her on which would be best.
- I will continue to take these prenatal vitamins...that I get at Costco.
- Deep breathe. She said that each time you take a full deep breath you massage your liver... how sweet is that?! Or... gross. Either way, I feel so amazing each time I take a full deep breath that I need to do this more often. And more importantly...at work.
- Incorporate exercise into my week. When she asked me what I do for exercise...I tried to think about when do I actually have free time to exercise?! Well I didn't...and I don't prioritize it either. I told her that I am practically running 12 hours a day, hard at work. She didn't think this was so hot. She wants me to do something that I love, that gets me moving, my whole body energy flowing...not just burning calories like I do at work. So, with the help of these new cruisers...I will be biking, frisbee-throwing, and enjoying the outdoors. And I am thinking of taking a zumba or yoga class this summer...to be determined.
- Eat healthfully... which for me primarily means...reduce sugar (I think I'm a sugar addict). I love baked goods, I don't really eat candy bars, but I love cookies, muffins, hot chocolate...you get the point. I need to cut back. Its just as bad for my liver and pancreas to keep regulating my body with so much sugar roaming around in there.
- She wanted to me to ideally not have sex for 3 months!! WHAT?! I laughed when she said this...I don't think she appreciated it. She would like for the weekly acupuncture appointments to take affect for 3 months, then have a perfectly calm, healthy, and ready body for pregnancy. I understand this however- pushing aside my instant thoughts of her not only making a ton of money off of me in 3 long months- but that these 3 months of summer break are going to be the least stressed out, healthiest my body will be. Once August comes I am thrown back into school and hectic schedule- so no... I will not be waiting 3 months.
- After this, she said well...ok... I won't be as rigid with you, you aren't having true infertility problems, so just let me know if you will be having sex. HA. Again. No thanks. I am all for being open...but seriously?! I am TRYING to have a baby. That requires sex, according to my research.
- Mucus checks and basal body temperatures... yep. She wants me to track those. And I just don't want to nor do I think my night shifts accommodate for consistent results. And I am sure that my adrenalin surges in true trauma situations at work don't work well with body regularity. Just a hunch.
- Weekly appointments... I don't really feel a huge connection with her to want to spend my hard earned money to go every week... the idea of dishing out that much money is stressful in itself. I think twice a month could be ideal.